Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Spaetzle (German noodles)



Spaetzle




Spaetzle are one of my favourite type of noodles.  They happen to go great with all sorts or german foods. The ingredients are simple (eggs, flour, water ,salt ) but they are somewhat labour intensive. I like to make them ahead and fry them in butter just before serving. mmmm...


There are several ways you can get the nice shape. Once in the pot, they are almost cooked immediately. Here is what I use:

The dough goes in the square part and this slides back and forth over the holes dropping into the simmering water below.



...or you can use a board and knife. These come out a little larger but still good. Wet the board and smear the dough to as thin a layer as possible. Scrape small section into the pot.




I have to say I prefer the spaetzle maker. Maybe with a little practice, the board and knife would work but for now I will stick with my sliding device. It's not too expensive and doesn't take up too much space. I have also seen some people using a colander with large holes and a scraper.


Spaeztle goes great with Goulasch!





Recipe

500 grams flour (approx. 4 cups)
5 eggs
100ml of water
100ml of milk
1 tsp salt


Mix in a bowl with a sturdy wooden spoon.

Or you can use a Kitchen Aid Mixer which works great for this.

 The dough is thinner than pasta dough and pretty sticky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.