Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mom's Famous Apple Strudel


 Ok, so this is my first post and I thought it should be a good one.  Apple strudel is a favourite around here although I have made it only once before. This is the authentic just like mom’s one.  I have made previous versions with puff pastry or phyllo dough. These are all good, but not the same. I think it turned out pretty good. It was really really big so feel free to cut the recipe in half unless you’re feeding a crowd.




Here are some of the ingredients you will need. I have one of these cone shaped measuring cups that has grams for different ingredients written on the side. If you don’t have one, you can use a scale or the measurement in cups.







 
Use a large counter surface or table when you roll out the dough. Dump your flour on the counter and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. I made a well in the centre of my flour then added the egg, water, 3 tablespoons of oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Knead the dough until it is moist but not too sticky, then wrap in plastic or cover with a warm bowl. It needs to rest for at least ½ hour. Mine was resting for an hour.




Meanwhile melt your butter and add the breadcrumbs. Toast until the bread crumbs look like brown sugar.  That’s what’s on the spoon.


The apples that you use could be whatever you have on hand. Good time to use the lunchbox letdowns. I got some nice russets from my parents’ tree. These have a nice flavour and hold their shape too. I wouldn’t use Macintosh though, they get way too mushy. 

I have a handy dandy apple peeler. It’s quick and easy if your apples are not too misshapen or soft. A very big bowl full! 








Now to roll out the dough…














I can’t believe how big it got! I used the rolling pin until I got tired and the dough didn’t want to get any bigger. You need to do the rest by hand until it is very, very thin. Apparently, thin enough to read a newspaper through. I don’t think I made it that far, but pretty close. Brush the dough with butter, then sprinkle with bread crumbs and apples.  Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and you’re ready to roll…literally.





… and keep rolling.  This is really big. Bigger than I expected. The extra dough was just rolled over top.

I think it makes it a bit flakier with the extra dough. Brush the top of the strudel with…yes, more butter.

I baked this at 350 for 45 minutes and another 15 minutes at 325.

Looks good. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and cut off as big a slice as you can handle.

Recipe

Dough

500 gr flour (2 ½ cups)

1 tsp salt

1 egg

3 tbsp of veg or canola oil

¾ cup warm water (maybe more)

1 tsp lemon juice

Filling

2 kg of apples

1 ½ cups breadcrumbs

1/3 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1-2 tsp cinnamon

¼ cup melted butter for brushing  inside and out

Knead the dough ingredients together until you have a moist but not sticky dough ball. This takes about 5 min or so. Let the dough rest for at least ½ an hour at room temperature or slightly above. Meanwhile toast your breadcrumbs on medium heat with 1/3 cup butter. It should turn a nice golden brown. When it has cooled, mix in 1 cup of sugar. Peel and cut your apples.  After rolling out your dough, spread breadcrumb mixture all over followed by apples. Leave some space at the sides and end to help seal the strudel.  Roll your strudel and tuck in ends, making sure the seam is on the bottom. Shape into a horseshoe if it is too long for the pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 min and turn down to 325 for another 15 if getting too brown.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.